Automating Windows setup for development

Niklas Larsson metaniklas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 01:03:49 UTC 2014

Hi!

I have made a Powershell script that sets up a GHC build environment on
Windows from scratch. It's at https://github.com/melted/getghc. It largely
follows the instructions at
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows/MSYS2.
It has no dependencies aside from Powershell 3.0.

The reason I made it was to make it easier to set up a build bot on a clean
machine. But it's probably generally useful for people who want to develop
GHC on Windows.

Usage:
- Put the script in an empty directory
- Run it
- Hope for the best

Potential problems:
- If Python 2.7 is already installed and not on the path, the script wont
install it, and msys wont pick up the path. Solution: Add the path to
python in the control panel.
- Powershell wont run unsigned scripts by default. The error message will
give a hint how to disable that. I will add a signed version as soon as I
can figure out how.

Niklas