The build is broken (Solaris/x86, FreeBSD/{i386,amd64})

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 07:44:45 UTC 2014

On 15/04/14 05:52, Jan Stolarek wrote:
>> I think Simon Marlow is even more conservative, and
>> does his validate builds in a separate tree so he catches missing files.
> I thought everyone is doing that.

It's the recommended workflow, but I must admit it doesn't always work
out, and nowadays I often just work in one tree.  The problems arise
when your patches don't validate, and you have to go and fix something -
you don't want to go back to the working tree and test a new fix, you
want to just fix it in the validate tree and validate again.  So pretty
soon you end up just working in the validate tree, especially when
you're working on lots of small fixes.  For larger branches a separate
working tree works fine.

The best way to solve this problem is going to be automation, where we
submit the patch to a validate bot and get the results later.  Wasn't
Joachim working on this?