strip related failure [

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 10:20:02 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-18 at 12:13:14 +0200, Karel Gardas wrote:
> Folks,
>
> last two/three builds on Solaris builder fails due to a reason that
> someone added (probably) stripping of installed libraries. My bet is
> on 8992d5269804b727fb77249511e89df678526907 -- hence ccing you
> Herbert, but I'm not sure...
>
> The problem is that invoked strip command line is incompatible with
> Solaris' strip which then fails with:
>
> strip: --strip-unneeded: cannot open file: No such file or directory
>
> the problem is usage of --strip-unneeded command-line argument? It
> looks like this argument is supported by just GNU strip. Do we really
> need to use it? If not, removing this may solve the issue. If yes,
> then I'll need to come with some workaround for Solaris...

This sounds as if you'd want to file an issue and/or pull-request ASAP
for Cabal 1.20 before it gets released; see also

 https://github.com/haskell/cabal/pull/1691

 https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/1630

which were similiar issues for other platforms not supporting
'--strip-unneeded'

Cheers,
  hvr