GHC's performance

Michał J Gajda mjgajda at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 06:12:16 UTC 2014

Dear Friends,

I have a few weeks free just now, and a keen interest in GHC performance,
so please count me in as a person interested in developing the solution :-).

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 5:57 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com>wrote:

> There are a few "projects" in this area I think we should undertake:
>
> ## Set up a performance dashboard
>
> Example: http://goperfd.appspot.com/ (try clicking the "Perf" and
> "Graphs" buttons.)
>
> I think the way to go here is:
>
>  * Figure out how to build GHC and run the nofib suite in a repeatable
> (i.e. scripted) manner.

Wouldn't it be faster to take GHC builds from the current builder?
I understand that running GHC build for each commit may take some time...
Where would be put the infrastructure?
I could help to set it up, but I do not possess enough CPU power to hold it
for a long time.

I do not know how current builders are set up, and if it would be possible
to indicate some of them as having exclusivity for their machine. If so,
would it be better to add perf test and database submission as a last step
for the test suite?
As long as access is not anonymous (to prevent spam), such a database might
provide a better coverage of performance data over tier-2 architectures.
--
  Best regards
    Michal