Help with coercion & roles?

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Apr 14 11:39:01 UTC 2014

I agree with Simon, but just `Sub` the `<LambdaCCC.Lambda.EP>_N`, not the whole coercion.

There are actually two problems here. The one Simon identified, and also the fact that Simple.NTCo:HasIf[0] produces a representational coercion. How do I know? Because of the `NT` -- it's a newtype axiom and must produce representational coercions. Furthermore, unless the newtype definition is inferred to require a nominal parameter, the newtype would expect a representational coercion, not the nominal one you are passing. Check the dump (using -ddump-tc) of the newtype axiom to be sure.

Though putting a `Sub` on `<EP>` and changing the Refl constructor on `<Bool>` would work, you would then be violating an invariant of GHC's Coercion type: that we prefer `TyConAppCo tc ...` over `AppCo (Refl (TyConApp tc [])) ...`.

In sum, here is the coercion I think you want:

(LambdaCCC.Lambda.EP (Sym (Simple.NTCo:HasIf[0] <GHC.Types.Bool>_R)))_R

This is one of the problems with roles -- they are *very* fiddly within GHC, and it's hard for a non-expert in roles to get them right.

Have you seen docs/core-spec/core-spec.pdf? That is updated w.r.t. roles and may be of help.

Let me know if I can help further!
Richard