Backward-compatible role annotations

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 9 14:43:42 UTC 2014

We indeed had unexported "internal coercions" as a desideratum during the design process, but we didn't have a specific use case and it didn't mesh with our eventual decision to use class instances. Now that the whole thing is implemented, Coercible instances are actually fully magical inside of GHC. Thus, there would be nothing especially difficult, from an implementation standpoint, of adding the feature described below in a later release. There is always the niggling issue of concrete syntax. So, if you (or others) hit upon a nice, real use case desiring this feature and want to come up with a design, please propose it! I do think it would likely be easy to make happen.

Richard