Offering GHC builder build slaves

Páli Gábor János pali.gabor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 07:23:12 UTC 2014

> I can offer several build slaves, but I'm not sure what the process is.

As far as I know, the infrastructure has become a volunteer-run
effort, and it looks like I am the volunteer who runs it... :-)

> How do I run multiple build slaves?

Ideally, each of the slaves should run in their own isolated (mostly
virtualized) environment.

> Do I need a separate username for each?

Yes.

> Is there a username convention?

So far I assigned names to the clients by the
"${os}-${arch}-${branch}"  scheme, such as linux-ppc64-head.

> The suggestion at https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Builder is
> that I post a username and password to ghc at .  There are two issues
> with this:

Actually, I think this wiki page is not valid any more -- the original
builder infrastructure was abandoned last year.  I have started to
replicate the whole thing for my own clients, and it works well (for
me, and nowadays for Karel) since then.

However, my efforts has not been "blessed" and I am not sure if there
are at least plans to make the builders part of the official
haskell.org infrastructure.  Either way it goes, I can update the
corresponding wiki page with my contact information and start
accommodation further clients until the fate of the service is
decided, if there will not be any objections in the next few days.

> I am happy to send this information if the admins of the GHC builder
> infrastructure are comfortable with the risks.

All right, I can follow up you with the details off-list.