7.8.1 plan

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Thu Apr 3 13:15:39 UTC 2014

Hi all,

One final update: I have found a workaround for the issue Mateusz
reported last week. Luckily it can be fought off somewhat easily for
now for OS X users, but there are more details here:
https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/1740

The final thing that ended up being a hold-up is now #8870 - the 32bit
Windows distribution is segfaulting. At first, I thought this was an
anomaly, but I saw several other people who also reported this
problem. After a bit of sweat I've finally reproduced this bug and
tracked this down part of the way, but I've been especially confused
by this issue because apparently it does not affect everyone! Which is
quite bizarre, as given the results I found, I'd suspect everyone to
see it.

Right now, Kyrill has suggested a fix I'm attempting (I slightly
botched my first try), and I have found a way to avoid it at the
moment by turning off optimization (which seems to reduce stack
pressure enough to get by on Windows - see the ticket for details).

Are there any Windows users who would be willing to test a 32bit
Windows binary distribution, should I make a provisional one? I can
have it up within a few hours from now. I'd really love some outside
confirmation of this problem and a resolution once we have it!

As this is the last bug, if I can at least get some confirmation a fix
works, I can have the final release out immediately afterwords - the
tree is otherwise quiet and will remain so.