Coercible class (Was: newtype wrappers)

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Sep 15 21:56:56 UTC 2013

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 15.09.2013, 17:49 -0400 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
> To be clear, I'm not asking for an explanation for me -- I think I
> know what's going on here.

Sorry if you got that impression; I have no doubt that you understand
the feature (possibly better than me!)

> I just think that this behavior requires a small section in the user
> manual, because it's a user-visible change to the language that GHC
> compiles. I would say the haddock docs could point to the user manual,
> to avoid the duplication (which I similarly dislike, for sure!)

Well, the question of which location points to which one is close to
bikeshedding, so I’ll just pull the “I did it” card here (until shouted
down by a larger crowd). But a mention in the user manual will not hurt:
Can you suggest a section? Then I’ll put in a small paragraph with an
reference to the haddocks.

Greetings,
Joachim

--