llvm calling convention matters

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 06:28:29 UTC 2013

Geoff,

a prosaic reason why there *might* be a fundamentally breaking change would
be the following idea nathan howell suggested to me this afternoon: change
the Sp and SPLim register so that the X86/x86_64 target can use the CPU's
Push and (maybe) Pop instructions for the  stack manipulations, rather than
MOV and fam.  see http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8272 (which is
just what i've said). Thats one change thats pretty simple but deep, but
likely worth exploring.

i'm saying any ABI change for GHC 7.10, would likely entail patching LLVM
3.4, because thats the only LLVM version likely to come out between now and
whenever we get 7.10 out (assuming 7.10 lands within the next 8-12 months,
which is reasonable since we've got noticeably more (amazing) people
 helping out lately). Thus, any change there entails either asking the llvm
folks to support >1 GHC convention per architecture, or replace the current
one!  I'd rather do the latter than the former, when it comes to asking
other people to maintain it :)
(and llvm engineers do in fact help out maintaining that code)

have you run a Nofib, or even benchmarks restricted to your multivector
code, for the current calling convention (including the spilling AVX
vectors to the stack thats the current plan i gather) VS passing in
registers with an LLVM built using the patches i worked out ~ 2 months ago?
 it'd be really easy to build that custom llvm, then run the benchmarks!
(i'm happy to help, and ultimately, benchmarks will reveal if its worth
while or not! And if the main goal is for your talk, its still valid even
if its not in the merge window over the next 4 days).

I really think its not obvious what the "best" abi change would be! It
really will require coming up with a list of variants, implementing them,
and running nofib with each variant, which i lack the compute/human time
resources to do this week. Modern hardware is complex enough that for
something like an ABI change, the only healthy attitude can be "lets
benchmark it!".

i'd really like any change in calling convention to also improve perf on
codes that aren't explicitly simd! (and a conservative simd only change,
blocks/conflicts with that augmentation going forward, and not just for the
stack pointer example i mention early)

 Not just scalar floats in simd registers , but perhaps also words/ints !

(though that latter bit  might be pretty ambitious and subtle, i'll need to
investigate that a bit to see how feasible it may be).
SIMD has great support for  ints/words, and any partial abi change on the
llvm backend now would make it hard to support that later well (or at
least, thats what it looks like to me).  actually effectively using simd
for scalar ints and words should be doable, but might force us to be a bit
more thoughtful on how GHC internally distinguishes ints used for address
arithmetic, vs ints used as data.  (interestingly, i'm not sure if any
current extent x86 calling convention does that!)

    That single change would make 7.10 require a completely different llvm
and native code gen convention from our current one, plus touch all of the
code gen on x86 architectures.

basically: we're lucky that everyone builds haskell code from source, so
ABI compat across GHC versions is a non issue. BUT, any ABI changes should
be backed by benchmarks (at least when the change is performance
motivated). Likewise, because we use LLVM as an external dep for the -fllvm
backend, we really need to keep how their release cycle interacts with our
release cycle, because people use haskell and ghc! which as many like to
say, is both a boon and a pain ;).

Having people hit ghc acting broken with an llvm that was "supported
before" is  risky support problem to deal with. having an LLVM head variant
support a modified ABI, and then later needing to break it for 7.10 (for
one of the possible exploratory reasons above) would lead to a support
headache I don't wish on anyone.

pardon the verbose answer, but thats my offhand take

cheers
-Carter