Proposal: Improving the IsString String instance

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 10 12:09:05 UTC 2013

(redirecting to ghc-devs)

Thomas

Let's be clear what is happening here.  After all the dust has settled we call TcSimplify.applyDefaultingRules to look at a bunch of unsolved constraints and generate new, extra constraints that might help solve them.

Thus if we see (Eq a, Num a)
we might generate the extra constraint (a ~ Integer)
to try to help solve them.

Now, what you want to do is to spot a constraint like (IsString [a]),
and generate (a ~ Char).

Now it's true that the current machinery in findDefaultableGroups is set up to look for constraints of form (C a), because that's what the rules say. If you change the rules you'll need to change the code.

But I'm not even sure what the new rule *are*.  The current GHCi defaulting rules are documented here:
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/interactive-evaluation.html#extended-default-rules

The first thing to do is to write down the exact new rules that you are trying to implement.

Simon

| >> |
| does.
| >> |