Alex and new Bool primops

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Mon Sep 9 15:02:30 UTC 2013

I think the there was a general agreement in the committee that we should follow the best long-term solution, not the best short-term one. Here are two arguments (Plan B = break backwards compatibility):

  > I'd rather not hamstring GHC.* with a rats nest of backwards compatibility decisions,
  > which all come at accreted costs, the mortgage for which is to be paid down forever
  > by future development efforts.

  > I vote for plan B on the grounds that it's the Right Thing and the
  > group that it breaks is both small and savvy.

  > [implementing backwards compatibility solution] only works once, though. We're in exactly the same boat on all future primop redesigns.

There was also a decision of providing a backwards compatibility package that would make it easy for library authors to create packages that are compatible both with 7.6 and 7.8 (summarized here: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Compatibility_Modules). Sadly, there's no web archive for that list so I can't point you to the discussion.

Anyway, this is clearly something no one has anticipated and the question is whether we have a good way to solve that problem?

Janek