A build problem on Mac

Austin Seipp aseipp at pobox.com
Sun Sep 8 21:40:56 UTC 2013

Hello Kazu, thank you for the help!

Here is the easiest way to get the output. First, run 'make' once by
itself and make sure the build fails pretty quickly as a result of
your error (always good to double check.)

Next, when you do that, you will see the command that caused that
error. It's the one you posted in the original email, in fact - the
command invoking "ghc-stage1". You can copy and paste that command
right back into the terminal and run it in order to reproduce the
failure. Make sure you're at the root of the GHC source tree as well:

$ cd ~/path/to/ghc-HEAD
$ "inplace/bin/ghc-stage1" -hisuf hi -osuf ... -dyno
compiler/stage2/build/Coverage.dyn_o

This should fail with the exact same error.

Finally, all you need to do is this:

1. Add -ddump-cmm to the command line. Anywhere will work.
2. Pipe the output somewhere. Alternatively, you can copy/paste it out
of your terminal buffer.

So:

$ "inplace/bin/ghc-stage1" -ddump-cmm -hisuf hi -osuf ... -dyno
compiler/stage2/build/Coverage.dyn_o 2>&1 > log.txt

Double check the log.txt file - it should contain a lot of C-- output
(thousands of lines, probably.) That's what Jan needs.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu at iij.ad.jp> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Good, we have a culprit then. Kazu, would you be willing to do a
>> couple of things to provide me with more information? I'd need the
>> Cmm dump that causes the panic. Also, tomorrow I'll add more
>> information to this panic so that we get back name of offending code
>> block - this should make debugging easier for me.
>
> OK. I understand more information is necessary for you. I can
> help. Please tell me exact operation sequences.
>
> --Kazu

Regards,
Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671