GHC 7.8 release status

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 5 10:36:34 UTC 2013

Thank you for the wiki page. This is great. For the first time I have something I can get my teeth into.  Some comments

·         Why aren't you using Data.Dynamic for the hook things?  You are precisely doing dynamic typing after all.  (Moreover I want to change Data.Dynamic so that it says
     data Dynamic where
         Dyn :: Typeable a => a -> Dynamic
and you want to take advantage of this.

·         I don't understand the need for the "key" types and the Hook type to get to the real type.  Why not do this:

o   As now, DynFlags has a map from TypeRep -> Dynamic, with the invariant that if you look up a typerep tr, then the Dynamic you get has typerep tr.

o   When you want to add a new pass, say for DsForeigns, you say
   newtype DsForeignsHook = DSF ([LForeignDecl Id ] -> DsM (ForegnStubs, OrdList Binding)) deriving Typeable

o   To invoke the hook, GHC looks up the type DsForeignsHook in the hook-map, and gets back a newtype value of type DsForeignsHook, which it unwraps and applies.

o   To install the hook GHC provides a function
   insertHook : Typeable a => a -> Hooks -> Hooks

No need for these strange "data DsForeignsHook = DsForeignsHook" things, or for the Hook type family.  Simple!

·         The design *must* list all the hooks that GHC uses and their types.  There's no point in adding a hook that GHC doesn't call!

Simon