newtype coercion wrapping status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Sep 2 23:33:55 CEST 2013

Hi,

Am Montag, den 02.09.2013, 12:07 -0400 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
> Here are some specific thoughts, upon reviewing your (surprisingly short!) patch:

well, note the long list of thing that remain to be done. Also, the code
went through several iterations already; I guess that helps as well :-)

> - I strongly dislike the name NT (and derivatives), for at least two
> reasons: 1) Someone new to this work won't know what it means, and 2)
> it's useful for things unrelated to newtypes (because of phantoms).
> How about "safeCoerce"? The class could have the name "Coercible".
> Neither of these names conflict on a default search at Hoogle.

The name is a working title, and your suggestions are good. I might
prefer something that also hints as to why things are coercible and
hints that it is somehow related to representation.

> - Why box ~R#? Couldn't castEqR just take an unboxed R equality?

I guesst castEqR could, but it seems I still need a TyCon that boxes ~R#
so that it can be used as the type of a class method. (As mentioned,
this TyCon could also be the TyCon of the class itself, I just need to
find out how to wire that up.)

> - If keeping boxed ~R#, you might want to add an ASSERT in mkEqReprBox ensuring that the coercion passed in has role R. (Use coercionRole.)

Will do.

> - It looks like you plan to make the NT class more wired in (line 507
> of TcEvidence). Would this get rid of the Class parameter to EvNT and
> then simplify mkNT?

Correct. The Class parameter is just a work-around for now, and mkNT
and mkUnNT can simple be removed.

> - getEqRolePredTys never seems to care about its Role return value.
> I'm happy about this, because the type-checker doesn't really know
> about roles. (It assumes everything is Nominal, which is how users
> would expect type-checking to behave, I think.)

That part of the patch is in the “I had to do this to make it work”
because in some cases getRolePredTys would have thrown assertions about
Representational roles appearing. If you think this is fine, the easiest
would be to simply have getPredTys work with the different kinds of
equalities. Also, that it currently works with NT should probably not be
the final word.

> - The changes in Coercion are correct -- the use of Nominal that you
> removed harkened to the days when all CoVars were Nominal.

Would you prefer to apply these changes to HEAD independently of the
coercion feature? It would keep my patch cleaner.

> After looking at it all, I wonder if shoehorning this feature into the
> class / instance mechanism is the right way to go. How much is that
> buying us? The instance lookup mechanism for NT is totally customized
> (as it should be, it seems). So, how much harder would it be to make
> this a free-floating feature, separate from classes? This would mean
> adding a new thing with kind (* -> * -> Constraint) to replace "NT".
> (In a perfect world, this could be spelled ≈, but I'm not a huge fan
> of Unicode syntax in reality.) But, there would be no need to worry
> about user-defined instances, and all the wired-in class stuff could
> be gotten rid of. It's not that I think the class/instance approach is
> that bad, but we've had to wander so far away from using GHC's
> built-in features around instance lookup that I think we should
> re-examine.
>
> Thoughts?

This would move it closer to Eq and Eq#, right?

I still don’t understand all of the code involved in constraint
handling, especially with constraints that are not classes. I believe
that it buys us the infrastructure of requesting new constraints, of
solving constraints only once, and of getting an error message that
looks familiar to the user. OTOH this infrastructure is not fully
suited, e.g. for "newtype Void = Void Void" it creates looping EqR
values. I’ll read through more of the code and see if we can do without
classes alltogether.

Thanks for your review,
Joachim
--