Current state of ghc boot lib versions vs. hackage

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Sun Sep 1 22:05:28 CEST 2013

Hello Jan,

As far as I can tell, this should be handled using the standard
procedure for externally maintained bootstrap libraries:

    http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Repositories/Upstream

You should coordinate with Roman about this.  In the worst case,
you can manually make a new (GHC-specific) release yourself, on
the new version.

> Also, in order to make updated versions of the libraries compatible with older versions of GHC I would need to add some #ifdef pragmas. The question is whether we and package maintainers want that compatibility or should we expect that newly released versions of primitive and array will require at least 7.8 to run?

Yes, the backwards compatibility should be done.

Edward