example of great getting started guide (possible guide to improve it for ghc)

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Tue Nov 19 12:45:07 UTC 2013

> relatedly: how are the 'low haning fruit" tickets on that page generated? I
> can't see how
Arbitrarily :-) Any developer can add a "low hanging fruit" ticket if he judges that: a) ticket is
relatively easy for a beginner to tackle and; b) is willing to aid a beginner in working on that
ticket (though this is not strictly necessary if one judges that support from ghc-devs will be
sufficient). For example I added #8308 because I can guide a beginner through implementation of
that ticket (at least I believe so).

> I think it’d be great to reduce the barrier to entry for newcomers, and would welcome anything
you (or anyone else) can do to help.  Thanks!
Yes, reducing barrier for beginners would be a great thing to do (I remember how frustrating were
my beginnings with GHC) but that would be an investment - meaning that we would have to put a lot
of effort into it hoping that in the future we will have more developers. The best thing I could
imagine would be videos presenting implementation of GHC. Something like that was already
recorded during Hackathons but that vidoes have horrible quality and are almost impossible to
watch. If we could re-record that with better quality (and more up-to-date) it would be great.

Janek