Trac formatting

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Nov 12 15:53:05 UTC 2013

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 12.11.2013, 15:24 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton-Jones:
> When Trac formats commit messages it is doing a terrible job.  See for
> example: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5996
>
> The commit message is nigh illegible until typeset without makup (see
> comment 10).

I believe it is a feature, not a bug: Trac encourages you to use
markdown markup (which supposedly looks good also in plain text) in your
commit messages. This not only makes them look nice, provides additional
features like automatic linking (compare the reference to #5996 in
comment 9 and comment 10).

In this case the tables should have been indented by 4 spaces, or
surrounded by {{{..}}}, in the commit message to make it come out
nicely.

Whether this is desirable is a different question. I like it, but the
heavy users of the repository and trac need to decide what they prefer –
the ability to use markup in the commit messages, or the freedom to do
any kind of ascii art.

Greetings,
Joachim

--