adding direct *.c -> *.o/so/dylib support to ghc compilation driver

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Mon May 20 23:43:25 CEST 2013

hey all,

I think it'd be valuable to add direct C -> object file compilation support
to the ghc compilation driver for a number of reasons, which i have  filed
/ documented in a trac feature request ticket.

based upon my still cursory understanding of the relevant bits of the GHC
architecture, it seems like it'd be relatively straight forward to add
 such support and associated flags.

any feedback/thoughts on this proposal would be appreciated.

note: yes there is the work around of directly scripting the compilation
for the C-> object files, but that does raise the bar on ease of use, and
doesn't address some of the reasons for this ticket.

i'm open to spending some time in the next month writing a patch for this
if thats the best way to make it happen, though I'd probably need some
guidance / help at points. But either way, this is a nice little feature
that would be nice for a number of folks, not just myself

thanks
-Carter