Implementing Strict Core

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri May 3 10:22:56 CEST 2013

Johan

I think this would be a very interesting thing to do.  But it would be a big project.  It is absolutely not routine work.

*         Strict Core is not just a little wibble.  It is a pretty big change.

o   It embraces multiple values.  These aren't the same as unboxed tuples because they include types, thus <Int, 7, 'x'>

o   It has multiple binders, in which early ones scope over later ones

o   It has both 'let' and 'valrec'.

o   I'm not sure how ANF-ised it should be

o   I am unsure about the interaction with user-written RULES

*         It needs to be extended with coercions and casts.  I don't think this would be too hard

*         How do unboxed tuples fit in?

*         I'm not certain whether delay/force should be done via encoding (as the paper suggests) or expressed directly.

*         Programs would get bigger

So it would force re-examination of many things.  In effect we'd go back three steps in order to position ourselves to move forward four or more.  The benefits would, I think, ultimately be substantial, but it'd take a while for them to manifest themselves.

If you wanted to undertake it I'd be happy to play an advisory role.  It's really hard to guess how long it'd take.  To get to something that stumbles along: weeks not days.  To get to something that routinely out-performs the baseline: months not weeks.

Step 0 should be to write a detailed specification, based on the paper, so that we all understand the language you are implementing.  Richards docs/core-spec/  is a model.

Simon