Show-like output of GHC data types

Sean Leather sean.leather at
Fri Mar 8 23:26:51 CET 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Johan Tibell wrote:

> I'm currently writing a ShowInstances module with orphan Show instances
> for all GHC data types. I will just import that during development, but not
> include it in the final code. It will hopefully satisfy my current need.

This would have been useful to me in the past, and I'm guessing others
would find it useful, too. It seems like a package of standalone derived
Show instances would require little maintenance (since you don't need to
modify the instances for changes to datatypes, only for adding/removing
them) yet provide a great benefit for newcomers to GHC, while not bloating
GHC itself.