Setting up a sandboxed installation of GHC HEAD

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Thu Mar 7 11:40:35 CET 2013

> The way to do this is described on a wiki page in the developers corner:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Debugging/InstallingPackagesInplace (scroll down
> to "Plan B" on this page)
Thanks, that helped.

What I should have mentioned is that I am sandboxing my GHC installations, so whenever I compile
HEAD I can switch to a different sandbox and install the new compiler within that sandbox. Now I
can just install packages into user database without worrying that my original database gets
cluttered with duplicate libraries. I managed to install some of the packages using plan B. This
is tedious (I'd rather have dependencies resolved, downloaded and installed automatically by
cabal) but works as long as packages from hackage are compatible with HEAD. Unfortunately some of
them are not, which prevents me from installing libraries that I need (like blaze-builder) but I
guess that can't be helped.

Janek