Fixing "breaking packages"

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at singpolyma.net
Fri Mar 1 21:53:50 CET 2013

Somebody claiming to be Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>"Far too frequently I encountered packages that, when trying to install,
>would say installing this package will break a dozen others."

I also get this message sometimes, but I never consider it a problem.
I just add all the packages that would be broken also to the command line,
and that informs the constraints solver a bit more (and rebuilds some
things) and then works.

I've actually wished for a switch that just does this, but cut-n-paste the
packages it tells me about works fine.

--
Stephen Paul Weber, @singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted