Fixing "breaking packages"

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Fri Mar 1 17:13:58 CET 2013

> There's one big difference here: rpm/dpkg are only used to install
> things by the system administrator. But in the case of Cabal, a user
> could install 'mypackage' (in their user package database) and the next
> day the sysadmin could install a different instance of 'mypackage' in
> the global database.
Then we must come up with a way of handling such a situation. The first idea that comes to my head
is that by default cabal would only use one database: either the global one managed by the system
administrator or the local user database. The user should be allowed to override the default
setting and use both package databases (as it is now) with no consistency guarantees.

Janek