Fixing "breaking packages"

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Fri Mar 1 15:02:41 CET 2013

I'll chip in with my cries. Yesterday I spent 6 hours trying to track down a build problem in GHC
HEAD. Turned out that it was caused by having two versions of binary package, which were
installed to satisfy dependencies and silently broke my installation. I spent another hour today
fixing things. I would like cabal to prevent such things from ever happening, the same way that
Linux rpm/deb managers keep packages on the system in a consistent state.

Janek