invoking front-end phases from within a GHC plugin?

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 04:56:39 CEST 2013

Just a quick update: I patched a local copy of 7.6.3 to add
FastString.string_table to the CoreMonad.reinitializeGlobals mechanism.
After that change, I can invoke the front-end
(parser,renamer,typechecker,desugarer) from within my plugin on a simple
example.

Original module:

> module Test where
>
> data X = X Int Int

Syntax parser from within the plugin:

> data Y = Y X X
> f (Y (X a b) (X c d)) = a + b + c + d

Perhaps this simple example is luckily avoiding some nasty pitfalls, but it
seems to be working.