status of template haskell + cross compiling plans for 7.8?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 17 15:52:04 CEST 2013

I have not been following the details of this debate, but there is a good reason why TH doesn’t work on a cross compiler. Specifically, suppose module M imports module X, which defines a function mkD that M calls in a splice, thus $(mkD “wobble”).

Currently, we compile X to X.o, and when compiling M we dynamically link X.o (and all the other libraries it relies on) into GHC so that we can call foo.  Obviously X.o has to be runnable on the machine doing the compiling, so if X.o is for some other architecture that’s not going to work.

There is no reason in principle why one could not compile X into X.bytecode (along with all its dependencies), where X.bytecode is architecture independent. Then X.bytecode could be interpreted on any platform.  But GHC has no mechanism for doing this at all.   I’ve always take the view that if you want X.bytecode, you may as well load X.hs and translate it into bytecode.  A bit slower, to be sure, but maybe fast enough.  But don’t forget those libraries.

Anyway that’s the state of play.   Have fun!

Simon