Proposal: better library management ideas (was: how to checkout proper submodules)

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 10 09:42:19 CEST 2013

I forget who said it, but it's true that we have uncritically assumed that

*         One package = one repository
But I now realise that there's no need for that.   We could certainly have one repo with multiple packages.

What are the motivations for having a separate repository.  Are these two the main ones?

*         Sense of "ownership" by the maintainer. (My package isn't merely a barnacle on the side of GHC.)

*         Ability to release new versions un-synchronised with GHC releases

And neither really hold for the GHC-maintained packages.

One merit of splitting up 'base' will be that a chunk of it can go in the "independent" sector, leaving a smaller rump that is intimately coupled to GHC.  But we don't need to await that glorious day before getting on with the debate this thread is so constructively having.