Proposal: better library management ideas (was: how to checkout proper submodules)

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Sun Jun 9 10:47:25 CEST 2013

Hi Austin,

I admire your talent for writing emails ;-)

As you wrote in your email I'm totally for including testsuite into GHC, because it is essentially
part of GHC and it doesn't make sense to have a version of testsuite not corresponding to a
version of GHC. As you pointed out the same argument can be used for other packages, but still
there is one thing I don't like about that idea. What if an average haskeller wants to improve
one of the libraries e.g. by adding comments or fixing a minor bug? If we have a super-repo that
person would need to check out everything, which is discouraging. Another, separate issue here is
that such a person needs to either register to ghc-devs or trac to send a patch. Using github
would be helpful here, though I agree with Geoffrey about merge commits - we'd have to think of
sth here. Also, the fact that GHC HQ is maintaining all of the mentioned packages doesn't mean
that they need to be stored in one repo, at least not in git (this would make more sense to me
with SVN where you can checkout a subdirectory).

Still, I strongly agree that sth should be done about current setup. I'm not a git guru so I
cannot fully foresee what would be the consequences of turning everything into submodules, but I
think that it cannot be worse than it is now, right?

Jan