how to checkout proper submodules

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Sat Jun 8 13:00:47 CEST 2013

On 5 Jun 2013, at 16:47, Austin Seipp wrote:

> testsuite and base are also useful for other compilers,
> such as nhc98 (and indeed, nhc uses base itself.)

Useful, perhaps, but not actually used in practice.  Since the base library repo moved from darcs to git, I think that ghc is the only compiler that uses it.  (Maybe the jhc, uhc, or Helium people could refute that though.)

For a long, long time, the close coupling between ghc and the base library has been obvious.  I have long since given up trying to pretend that base is portable - it is not.  It is ghc-specific.  I don't think it should be.  That is a crazy architecture.  But it is the way it is.  Maybe it is time for everyone else to stop pretending too.

Regards,
    Malcolm