how to checkout proper submodules

Daniel Trstenjak daniel.trstenjak at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 18:08:33 CEST 2013

Hi Austin,

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 10:47:27AM -0500, Austin Seipp wrote:
> It's *part* of mainline git, but it is not installed with git. It's
> part of git's "contrib" functionality package which requires that your
> package maintainer be gracious enough to include it and install it by
> default, which requires extra intervention at build-time.
>
> As a counter-example, my 'git' from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS machine has no
> subtree and there are no existing instances of it in any 'precise'
> repositories. I'm hesitant to require developers en masse to use it
> for reasons like this.
>
> (Frankly I also don't know how this would work out on windows. Like, I
> don't know how to get a git-build-with-subtree-for-windows, much less
> if it works on windows at all.)

git-subtree is just a bash script, so it's more of an installing than a
building issue. The windows version of git already has to support bash by
using the msys environment.

> Because GHC does not technically 'own' them by the most strict
> definition. testsuite and base are also useful for other compilers,
> such as nhc98 (and indeed, nhc uses base itself.) The same can be said
> of nofib. As a result, there is a separation.

Just to make it clear, testsuite and base could still be contained
in separate repositories, regardless if GHC would use git-subtree or not.

It's just the question how these repositories are incorporated into GHC.

Greetings,
Daniel