how to checkout proper submodules

David Terei davidterei at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 11:10:07 CEST 2013

On 5 June 2013 01:43, Manuel M T Chakravarty <chak at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:

> I agree with Austin and Johan. It's a bizarre setup. Submodules have their
> pain points (which we already have to deal with), but the ability to
> properly snapshot and branch the whole tree would be a serious benefit IMO.
>
> Manuel
>
> PS: While we are at it, why don't we just have the main repos on GitHub
> and use forks and pull requests like the rest of the world? (Using Git, but
> not GitHub's superb infrastructure, seems like a terrible waste to me.)

I'd be all for this. We partially use the GitHub infrastructure since trac
broke and I changed the emails to point to GitHub instead. I also often do
code reviews with other devs on a personal GHC fork on github before
merging in.

I believe it would also help encourage more contributors (especially for
libraries) but others have expressed disagreement with this point of view
in the past and I'm not in hold of data.

Either way, I'm glad git bisect may soon work. We'll finally be able to use
the whole feature set of a version control tool :)  (other piece was the
move from darcs -> git which gave us a working annotate).