Future plans

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Thu Jul 18 16:44:07 CEST 2013

Friends,

For a number of reasons, I have decided to move on to new challenges,
and so from the end of the month the GHC maintenance work will be taken
over by other people within Well-Typed.

I hope not to disappear completely, but in any case if there is anything
you think only I might know, please tell me and I'll try to document it!

A couple of topical items: First, I've written a brief summary of the
GHC 7.8 release plans here:
    http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8
Please feel free to edit it if there's anything I've left out, or if
there are any other errors.

Second, there's been a bit of discussion recently about moving over to
using git submodules for more repos, or using git subrepos instead, or
merging some of our repos together. We didn't feel that there was a
consensus on what to do, so we plan to do nothing for now, but this is
an area that might want to be revisited after the 7.8 release.

Finally, I would like to everyone at Well-Typed, the Simons, and too
many other community members to list, for a fantastic seven years. It's
been a pleasure working with you all, and I look forward to finding out
where the future takes us.

Thanks
Ian
--