use UniqSupply in FastString?

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 18:13:12 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 12:14:06PM -0500, Nicolas Frisby wrote:
> >
> > I've been trying to let a statically-linked compiler shares its
> FastString
> > table with plugins.
>
> Why not use a dynamically linked compiler?

My main concern with this option is having the plugins that need FastString
support work with an out-of-the-box ghc. If my plugin's prerequisite is
"first, go rebuild another copy of GHC", my plugin might as well not be a
plugin.

I'm still hoping for more responses to my other email on this topic, but
it's starting to seem that having the out-of-the-box ghc be a dynamically
link against libHSghc is not necessarily likely on all platforms that
support Core plugins.

Thanks.