Feature Request : Qualified module exports

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 11:12:22 CEST 2013

On 08/07/13 11:14, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've added a feature request ticket to the GHC trac:
>
>      http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8043
>
> for qualified module exports. In a nutshell this would allow the
> following 'qualified module' export eg:
>
>     module MyModule
>         ( qualified module T
>          )
>     import qualified Data.Text as T
>
> so that any module which imports MyModule has access to the symbols
> of Data.Text under the quaified module name T.
>
> This feature actually looks like something which I'm capable of
> undertaking so if nobody thinks this is a really bad idea, I'll
> have a crack at this.

There have been discussions about this in the past, here is a good one:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2005-March/003390.html (read
the rest of the thread, and there are links in there to other threads).

This is a feature that at first seems simple but leads to a lot of
subtle issues.  And it's not clear (to me at least) that this is
something we want rather than some form of namespace-management at the
package level.