Any interest in moving GHC issues / wiki to github?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 09:03:40 CEST 2013

On 05/07/13 22:36, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> We have a repeated problem with the GHC wiki and issue tracker getting
> filled with spam, and the server is currently taking about a minute to
> respond to each attempt to load a web page.
>
> I wonder if anyone would be open to us migrating the content to github
> instead. (Actually, while I'm at it, cloning from github is much faster
> than from darcs.haskell.org <http://darcs.haskell.org>, but that's a
> fight for another day.)

I don't see any spam - where are you looking?  Also the Trac is loading
in a second or two for me.  We do occasionally have to revert some spam,
but I like the fact that with Trac we're in control of our own
infrastructure.  This has turned out to be useful several times in the
past - when we want some extra functionality, we go find a Trac plugin
to do it, or we implement the change ourselves (or rather we ask Ian
nicely to do it :-).  We have a lot more functionality in our issue
tracker than github does.

There are a couple of pressing issues with Trac.  One, searching is
crap.  Using Google with "site:hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc" is much
better (you can set up a shortcut in your browser to do this, there are
some instructions on the wiki somewhere).

Two, repo browsing was too slow, so we had to turn it off.  This will be
fixed by upgrading Trac, which I believe Ian is planning to do as part
of the server migration.