Strange GNU make behavior/why are not shared libs built on Solaris?

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Tue Jan 22 18:28:56 CET 2013

Hello,

before making a ticket for this, I'm curious why are not shared libs
build on Solaris 11 on GHC HEAD. Please note 7.6.1 release is not
affected by this and shared libs are build on Solaris well (using the
exactly same environment).

I've tried to debug a little bit makefile machinery and the results are
confusing:

$ gmake show VALUE=PlatformSupportsSharedLibs
gmake -r --no-print-directory -f ghc.mk show
PlatformSupportsSharedLibs="YES"

so here, everything is fine, Solaris is supported for shared libs (i.e.
there is no broken ld presented on Solaris 11 which would disable this
feature).

Now:

$ gmake show VALUE=GhcLibWays
gmake -r --no-print-directory -f ghc.mk show
GhcLibWays="v"

why is that, when the code in mk/config.mk is clear enough and contains:

ifeq "$(PlatformSupportsSharedLibs)" "YES"
GhcLibWays += dyn
endif

?

Am I just simply blind and don't see obvious fact or is that really
confusing behavior?

BTW: Solaris 11 provided GNU make 3.81, that's what I'm using.

Thanks a lot for any idea how to debug this further!
Karel