LLVM failures

David Terei davidterei at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 19:30:58 CET 2013

'configure' could play a role but doesn't at the moment as we always
compile the LLVM backend and it dynamically supports a few different
LLVM versions. So there has been nothing to decide at compile time.

A patch was added a while back to allow 'configure' to specify where
to find the llvm binaries instead of just expecting them on the PATH
but that is all for now.

An extremely minimal guide exists in the userguide:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/code-generators.html#llvm-code-gen

We simply point you to the download page for LLVM.

http://llvm.org/releases/download.html#3.2

I haven't tried on Windows for a little while but historically it was
very easy, just unzip the files and make sure the binaries are in your
PATH. More detailed installation instructions would be worthwhile
though.