Why not rebase instead of merge?

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 00:52:52 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Stephen Paul Weber <
singpolyma at singpolyma.net> wrote:

> Somebody claiming to be Alexander Kjeldaas wrote:
>
>> Here you might want to do a
>> git rebase -i <when-you-split-from-main-**branch>
>> and squash unnecessary commits into larger ones.
>>

> I've never understood why people do this.  It seems to violate the purpose
> of making good atomic commits in the first place.

Ideally people should always make nice commits as they work on code. In
practice that rarely happens. For example, sometimes when you work on some
change you might see some unrelated problem and fix it then and there, so
you don't forget. Rebasing allows you to fix that up later.