ticky/cc profiling and heap checks

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 17:32:02 CET 2013

I noticed some suspicious wiggling in my ticky reports' entry counts. SPJ
suggested they were due to the counter ticking before the heap check: if it
fails, then it ticks again when we re-enter after the stg_gc function does
its thing.

After looking into it a bit further, I have a couple questions. Here's what
I found.

  * for functions (StgCmmBind.closureCodeBody), tickyEnterFun and
enterCostCentreFun are before the heap check

  * for thunks (StgCmmBind.thunkCode), tickyEnterThunk is before the heap
check and enterCostCentreThunk is after.

Questions:

  * Does any object to me moving both ticky counters after the heap check?

  * Is there a reason the two cost centre profiling entries are on opposite
sides of the heap check?

Thanks.