GHC 7.8 release?

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Mon Feb 11 13:35:17 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:09:56AM +0800, John Lato wrote:

> What I would like to see are more patch-level bugfix releases.  I suspect
> the reason we don't have more is that making a release is a lot of work.
>  So, Ian, what needs to happen to make more frequent patch releases
> feasible?

Well,
* actually making a release takes time
* I assume that you also want more patches merged from the HEAD, rather
  than just putting intermediate releases out, in which case merging
  those patches also takes time. And most of the small fixes already get
  merged, so you'd be looking at merging bigger changes which are more
  likely to require resolving conflicts, and so take even more time

so basically to make more releases we'd need to spend less time doing
other stuff (or for someone else to look after the branch).

Bigger changes, and especially changes that need altering for the stable
branch, are also more likely to introduce bugs.

Thanks
Ian