GHC 7.8 release?

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at integrable-solutions.net
Mon Feb 11 00:20:47 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 09:02:18PM +0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>>
>> You may ask what use is a GHC release that doesn't cause a wave of updates?  And hence that doesn't work with at least some libraries.  Well, it's a very useful forcing function to get new features actually out and tested.
>
> But the way you test new features is to write programs that use them,
> and programs depend on libraries.
>

> Thanks
> Ian

Releasing GHC early and often (possibly with API breakage) isn't
really the problem.  The real problem is how to coordinate with
library authors (e.g. Haskell Platform), etc.

I suspect GHC should continue to offer a platform for research
and experiments. That is much harder if you curtail the ability to
release GHC early and often.

-- Gaby