GHC 7.8 release?

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 23:56:00 CET 2013

Yes, exactly this.

A release where the versions of base, and all other baked in libraries are
only minor version bumps and where breaking changes are localized to
relatively experimental language features / extensions and GHC specific
APIs would ideal.

Eg: I'm OK having to patch ghc-mod so it works with a new intermediate GHC
release.  (Esp since it uses GHC internal apis)

The new scheduler improvements, the recent doh work  , the great SIMD work
/ code generator improvments, the type level nats, ordered type families,
the overloaded list syntax,

All of these extensions and associated API augmentations should not break
stable libraries, at least on minor version bumps, cause
1) maybe experimental new APIs can be included in minor releases as
separate explicitly experimental modules (this gives a way of including new
functionality in a minor release)
2) generally type checking / inference on stable code that doesn't enable
new features stays the same.

I'm probably overlooking some pieces or. Details, and I'm largely restating
what Johan and Manuel have communicated.

-Carter