GHC 7.8 release?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Sun Feb 10 16:36:55 CET 2013

We seem to be circling ever closer to consensus here! Yay!

Indeed!  Good :-)

However, I’m not getting the bit about API changing vs non-API changing.

Firstly I don’t know which APIs are intended.  The GHC API is essentially GHC itself, so it changes daily.  Maybe you mean the base package?  Or what?

I suspect you mean that a “non-API-changing” release absolutely guarantees to compile any package that compiled with the previous version.  If so, that is a very strong constraint indeed. We do observe it for patch releases for GHC (e g 7.6.2 should compile anything that 7.6.1 compiles).  But I think it would be difficult to guarantee for anything beyond a patch release.  Every single commit (and the commit rate is many/day) would have to be evaluated against this criterion.  And if it failed the criterion, it would have to go on a API-breaking HEAD. In effect we’d have two HEADs.  I can’t see us sustaining this.  And I don’t yet really see why it’s necessary.  If you don’t want an API-breaking change, stick with the patch releases.

So, we have a channel for non-API-breaking changes already: the patch releases.  So that means we already have all three channels!

·        Haskell Platform

·        Patch-level releases

·        New releases

if that’s so, all we need is better signposting.   And I’m all for that!

Have I got this right?

Simon