GHC 7.8 release?

Ben Lippmeier benl at ouroborus.net
Fri Feb 8 03:48:42 CET 2013

On 08/02/2013, at 5:15 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> So perhaps we principally need a way to point people away from GHC and towards HP?  eg We could prominently say at every download point “Stop!  Are you sure you want this?  You might be better off with the Haskell Platform!  Here’s why...”.

Right now, the latest packages uploaded to Hackage get built with ghc-7.6 (only), and all the pages say "Built on ghc-7.6". By doing this we force *all* library developers to run GHC 7.6. I think this sends the clearest message about what the "real" GHC version is.

We'd have more chance of turning Joe User off the latest GHC release if Hackage was clearly split into stable/testing channels. Linux distros have been doing this for years.

Ben.