Git confusion

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 20:54:58 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If I do
>     git clone darcs.haskell.org:/srv/darcs/ghc.git
>     cd ghc
>     git show origin
> then the output is
>     [...]
>     Local branch configured for 'git pull':
>       master merges with remote master
>     [...]
>
> However, none of:
>     git remote rm origin
>     git remote add origin darcs.haskell.org:/srv/darcs/ghc.git
>     git remote show origin
>
>     git remote rm origin
>     git remote add origin darcs.haskell.org:/srv/darcs/ghc.git -m master
>     git remote show origin
>
>     git remote rm origin
>     git remote add origin darcs.haskell.org:/srv/darcs/ghc.git -t master
>     git remote show origin
>
>     git remote rm origin
>     git remote add origin darcs.haskell.org:/srv/darcs/ghc.git -t master
> -m master
>     git remote show origin
> have the "Local branch configured for 'git pull':" section.
>
> So having done "git remote rm origin", how do I configure the git pull
> branches again?

I'm not 100% sure I've understood the question, but I'll try to help
anyway...

I believe the easiest solution is to use the -u flag when doing an explicit
push. For example:
git push -u origin master

The manpage says:
       -u, --set-upstream
           For every branch that is up to date or successfully pushed, add
upstream (tracking) reference, used by argument-less git-pull(1) and other
commands. For more information, see branch.<name>.merge in git-config(1).

I hope that helps,
Jason