GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving regression in HEAD?

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Dec 27 03:51:33 UTC 2013

I would say you do indeed need impredicative types to compile the instance you request -- you need to instantiate a type variable with a forall-type. But, whether or not we should require users to actually specify ImpredicativeTypes to compile code that we're generating is another question. And, the error message is terrible, regardless.

I'll post.

Thanks for bringing this up!
Richard