nofib’s cacheprof’s Allocations not deterministic

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 21:09:50 UTC 2013

On 10/12/13 18:30, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with most of nofib, one expects at least the Allocation numbers to be
> reliably and deterministic. This is not the case with cacheprof, they
> seem to wibble around by ~0.2%, which is strange.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this yes, and if so, tried to find out the
> cause? Is it expected and desired, or a bug somewhere?

It is neither expected nor desired, and if you could do anything to
diagnose it further that would be great.

Sometimes programs do things like generate a random temporary filename,
and that can lead to non-deterministic allocation.  If this program is
doing something like that, we should fix it so it doesn't.