benchmarks

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Dec 9 22:54:12 UTC 2013

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 10.12.2013, 02:21 +0400 schrieb Alexander Pakhomov:
> Hi.
> Do you do performance testing?
> I would be interested in statistics by release.
> I worked at optimizing compiler at my previous job and we had quite huge amount of performance tests for each commit. When something slowed down we fixed it. It is strange but most of times we found and fixed slowdown.

we have a benchmark suite called nofib, see
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/RunningNoFib
and http://git.haskell.org/?p=nofib.git

Unfortunately, we do not run it automatically for each commit, and this
is unfortunate. In fact, I do spend a relevant fraction of my GHC
hacking time starting nofib runs, manually comparing the results etc.
But of course only when I expect a change (or expect that made a change
that I did not want to do) and more automation would help here. But
automatically running the test suite is more urgent, I’d say :-)

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner