Repository Reorganization Question

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 08:24:20 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-09 at 09:18:09 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:

[...]

>> ...as I hinted at in an earlier post, the old commit-ids will still
>> allow to find the original commit; for isntance, there's already the
>> find-commit-by-sha1 service at
>>
>>    http://git.haskell.org/.findhash/<commit-sha1-prefix>
>>
>> which searches all repos hosted at git.haskell.org for the given sha1
>> prefix; there's also a convenient text-entry field at
>> http://git.haskell.org/ which allows you to copy'n'paste any commit-ids
>> you might come across in emails, irc logs, trac comments or even commit
>> messages...
>>
>> ...does this lookup-service alleviate your concerns?
>
> No :-)  To be honest I would probably just paste the SHA1 into Google
> and find it that way, which would probably work.  But it's *far*
> better if the links just work.

What kind of links are you referring to btw? I don't see any clickable
GHC SHA1 ids these days anymore... :-)

...any SHA1 links into the testsuite never had any chance of working in
the first place out-of-the-box, unless they used Trac syntax to specify
they referred to the testsuite repository. And now that we've disabled
wiki-format rendering of commit messages again, we have lost that again
as well.

What I'm trying to say is, that I don't see any regression at all
here. I.e. we wouldn't break any facility that didn't work before
anyway.

Cheers,
  hvr